The Ultimate Guide to the Best Safari in Kenya
Embarking on a safari to Kenya from Nairobi offers a veritable feast for the senses, capturing the essence of wild Africa in all its majesty. With a diverse landscape teeming with wildlife and cultural heritage, Kenya provides a unique and unforgettable safari experience.
This guide is designed to help you navigate the variety of safari packages available, including the best routes from Nairobi, all-inclusive options, and packages tailored to suit your budget. We also touch on the iconic Maasai Mara, offering insights into its unique ecosystem and the exceptional wildlife viewing it promises.
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or planning your first safari, our goal is to assist you in making informed decisions to ensure a remarkable Kenyan adventure.
How to Book Our Kenya Safari All Inclusive Packages
We are the go-to company for all-inclusive safari packages to Kenya. Our expert team of guides and consultants are passionate about sharing their love for this stunning country with you.
We have a range of options available, catering to different budgets and preferences. Some popular package inclusions include accommodation, meals, transport, park fees, activities, and guided tours.
Our Most Booked & Affordable Kenya Safari Packages
Our Top Packages 2023/24
Safari Price From
The Detailed Itinerary
13 Days Honeymoon Safari in Kenya – 2024
From USD 14,964
2 Days Masai Mara Safari
From USD 1885
3-DAY LUXURY 2024 MIGRATION TOUR
FROM USD 2845
5-DAY MIGRATION SAFARI 2024
FROM USD 1655
4-DAY MASAI MARA MIGRATION PACKAGES – 2024
FROM USD 2490
22-Day Kenya Wildlife Safari
From USD 9700
4-Day Maasai Mara Migration Safari – 2024
From USD 1905
Three Day Tour of Masai Mara
From USD 985
3-Day Masai Mara Camp Packages – 2024
From USD 985
3-Day Masai Mara Easter Packages – 2024
From USD 1035
3-Day Masai Mara Flying Safari 2024
From USD 1192
3-Day Masai Mara Packages from Nairobi – 2024
From USD 990
4-Day Masai Mara Easter Packages – 2024
From USD 1300
4-Day Mombasa & Diani Valentine Safari – 2024
At USD 1541
4-Day Mombasa Valentine Getaway 2024
From USD 2180
3-Day New Year Package 2024
From USD 1450
2-Day Hell’s Gate & Lake Nakuru Safari
From USD 507
3-Day Amboseli Safari
From USD 734
3-Day Huduma Day Safari to Masai Mara
From USD 950
3-Day Masai Mara Christmas Packages
From USD 1010
3-Day Ol Pejeta Easter Safari for 2024
From USD 1455
4-Day L. Naivasha & Masai Mara Easter Safari
From USD 1249
4-Day L. Naivasha & Masai Mara Safari
From USD 1174
4-Day L. Nakuru & Masai Mara Safari
From USD 1162
5-Day Flying Safari to Masai Mara & Ol Pejeta Conservancy
From USD 3777
5-Day Tsavo & Diani Safari
From USD 1606
6-Day Kenya Wildlife Safari from India
From USD 1730
7-Day Kenya Christmas Safari
At USD 3093
1-Day Nairobi National Park & Giraffe Center Tour
From USD 119
1-Day Nairobi National Park & Nairobi Animal Orphanage Tour
From USD 34
From USD 4216
18-Day Kenya Family Safari
From USD 5849
15-Day Senior Citizen Tour – 2024
From USD 4252
The Top 10 Destinations for the Best Safari to Kenya
No safari to Kenya is complete without a visit to its top destinations. Here are our top 10 recommendations:
1. Masai Mara National Reserve
Masai Mara is located in the southwest region of Kenya, bordering Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park. It is known for its vast grasslands and exceptional wildlife populations, making it one of the most sought-after safari destinations in Africa.
Some of the common wildlife found here include the Big Five (lions, elephants, buffalos, leopards, and rhinos) as well as wildebeests, zebras, giraffes, and various antelope species. For bird lovers, the Mara River is a haven for over 500 species of birds, including the famous Maasai ostrich.
Masai Mara is also a haven for great migration, an annual event where millions of wildebeests and zebras cross the Mara River in search of greener pastures. This spectacle, considered one of nature’s wonders, is a must-see for any safari-goer.
2. Amboseli National Park
Located at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain, Amboseli National Park boasts incredible views of the snow-capped peak and a diverse landscape. It is known for its large herds of elephants, offering visitors amazing opportunities to observe these gentle giants up-close.
Other wildlife frequently spotted here includes lions, cheetahs, leopards, buffalos, zebras, giraffes, hyenas, and various bird species. The park also offers a glimpse into the traditional way of life for the Maasai people, who have lived in harmony with nature for centuries.
3. Tsavo National Parks
Tsavo East and West are two separate national parks located in southeastern Kenya, covering an expansive area of over 22,000 square kilometers. These parks offer a unique safari experience due to their diverse habitats, from open savannahs to dense forests and volcanic hills.
The parks are home to a wide range of wildlife, including the Big Five, giraffes, zebras, hippos, crocodiles, and over 600 species of birds. They also have some of the most scenic landscapes in Kenya, making them a top choice for nature lovers and photographers.
4. Lake Nakuru National Park
Lake Nakuru National Park is a small but mighty gem located in the Great Rift Valley. It’s best known for its large population of flamingos, which can be seen congregating at the lake’s edges. The park also offers excellent views of rhinos and other wildlife such as lions, leopards, buffalos, zebras, and giraffes.
5. Ol Pejeta Conservancy
Ol Pejeta is a private wildlife conservancy located in central Kenya. It is known for its innovative conservation efforts, such as the world’s last two northern white rhinos and various endangered species’ breeding programs.
Visitors can also witness the Big Five and other wildlife on game drives or take part in unique experiences, including lion tracking and night game drives. Ol Pejeta also offers a chance to interact with local communities and learn about the area’s rich history and culture.
6. Samburu National Reserve
Located in northern Kenya, Samburu National Reserve is home to some of the most unique wildlife species in Africa. The reserve is an ideal destination for spotting rare animals such as the Grevy’s zebra, Somali ostrich, Beisa oryx, and reticulated giraffe.
The reserve also boasts breathtaking landscapes, from rugged mountains to vast savannahs dotted with acacia trees. Visitors can also learn about the local Samburu tribe’s traditional way of life by visiting their villages and interacting with them.
7. Aberdare National Park
Aberdare National Park offers a completely different safari experience, located in the central highlands of Kenya. The park is known for its dense forests and mountain ranges, providing a beautiful backdrop for wildlife sightings.
Some of the unique animals found here include black rhinos, giant forest hogs, bongo antelopes, and various primate species. The park also has several waterfalls and rivers, making it an excellent spot for bird watching and nature walks.
8. Mount Kenya National Park
Mount Kenya National Park is home to Africa’s second-highest peak, Mount Kenya. The park offers a range of activities, from hiking and mountain climbing to wildlife viewing in the lower slopes.
Visitors can also spot rare animals such as leopards, elephants, and buffalos. The park also has a diverse bird population, including the rare and elusive lammergeyer or bearded vulture.
9. Hell's Gate National Park
Hell’s Gate National Park is a unique destination, known for its stunning landscapes and activities such as biking, hiking, and rock climbing. The park also offers wildlife sightings of giraffes, zebras, buffalos, elands, gazelles, and various bird species.
Visitors can also take a dip in the natural hot springs or visit the Olkaria Geothermal Power Station, one of the largest in Africa. The park’s name comes from its towering cliffs, gorges, and deep valleys, creating an otherworldly atmosphere.
10. Lake Naivasha
Lake Naivasha is a freshwater lake located in the Great Rift Valley, known for its scenic beauty and diverse wildlife. Visitors can take boat trips to spot hippos, crocodiles, and over 400 bird species, including the famous fish eagles.
The surrounding area is also home to several nature reserves and conservancies, offering a range of activities such as walking safaris, horseback riding, and game drives. Visitors can also enjoy picturesque views of the lake and Mount Longonot, a dormant volcano.
The Top 10 Accommodations in Kenya for an Unforgettable Safari
Besides the diverse wildlife and stunning landscapes, Kenya is also known for its top-notch accommodations that offer a luxurious and comfortable stay while on safari. Here are ten of the best accommodation options in Kenya to enhance your safari experience:
- Giraffe Manor: This iconic boutique hotel allows guests to get up close and personal with giraffes that roam freely on the property. It offers luxurious rooms, personalized service, and delicious meals in a beautiful colonial-style setting.
- Mara Bushtops: Located in the iconic Maasai Mara reserve, this all-inclusive luxury camp offers spacious tents with private hot tubs, gourmet dining, and a range of activities such as game drives and hot air balloon rides.
- Elephant Bedroom Camp: This eco-friendly camp in Samburu National Reserve offers tented suites with stunning views of the river and surrounding landscapes. Guests can also enjoy game drives, bush walks, and cultural visits to local villages.
- Sasaab Camp: This beautiful lodge located in Samburu offers luxurious villas with private plunge pools and stunning views of the Ewaso Nyiro River. Guests can also take part in various activities, including camel safaris and spa treatments.
- Richard’s River Camp: Located on the banks of the Mara River, this intimate camp offers luxury tents with en-suite bathrooms and private verandas overlooking the river. Visitors can enjoy game drives, bush walks, and cultural visits to local Maasai communities.
6. Sanctuary Olonana: This award-winning lodge in the Maasai Mara offers luxury tents with four-poster beds, private verandas, and outdoor showers. It also has an infinity pool overlooking the Mara River and a spa for relaxation.
7. Loisaba Tented Camp: Located in Laikipia, this remote and exclusive camp offers luxury tents with panoramic views of the surrounding landscape. Guests can also enjoy wildlife sightings on game drives, horseback riding, and camel safaris.
8. Angama Mara: Perched on the edge of the Great Rift Valley overlooking the Maasai Mara, this luxury safari lodge offers modern tented suites, private plunge pools, and stunning views. Guests can also take part in hot air balloon rides and cultural visits to Maasai villages.
9. Serengeti Bushtops: This unique camp is located near the Tanzania border in the Serengeti National Park. It offers luxurious tents with private outdoor showers, a spa, and various activities such as game drives and hot air balloon rides.
10. Finch Hattons: This elegant lodge in Tsavo National Park offers luxurious tented suites with private plunge pools and stunning views of Mount Kilimanjaro. Guests can also enjoy wellness treatments at the spa and safari experiences in one of Kenya’s oldest parks.
Kenya Safari Packages Prices and Options
For those planning a safari to Kenya, there are various packages and price options available. The cost of a safari package will depend on factors such as:
The type of accommodation you choose will have a significant impact on the overall safari to Kenya price. Luxury lodges and tented camps will generally be more expensive than budget-friendly options such as camping or self-catering.
2. Activities Included
Safari to Kenya packages can include a range of activities, from game drives and walks to hot air balloon rides and cultural visits. The more activities included in a package, the higher the price will be.
3. Length of Stay
The duration of your safari will also affect the cost, with longer stays typically costing more. However, some packages may offer discounts for longer stays or include additional activities.
4. Time of Year
Peak season for safaris in Kenya is from July to October when the annual wildebeest migration takes place. This is also the most expensive time to visit, with prices often doubling during this period.
5. Package Inclusions
Some safari packages may include all meals, park fees, and transfers, while others may only cover accommodation and game drives. It’s essential to carefully review what is included in each package to ensure you are getting the best value for your money.
Tips for Finding Affordable Kenya Safari Packages
While Kenya safari tours from Nairobi can be expensive, there are ways to find more affordable options without sacrificing the experience. Here are some tips to help you find budget-friendly safari packages:
- Travel during low season: Consider traveling during the off-peak season, typically from April to June and November to December. Prices are generally lower during this time, and you may also have a more intimate safari experience with fewer tourists.
- Choose budget-friendly accommodations: Instead of luxury lodges or tented camps, opt for more affordable options such as camping or self-catering cottages.
- Join group tours: Group tours can often be cheaper than private safaris, as the cost is divided among a larger number of people. It’s also a great way to meet new people and make friends.
- Book in advance: Many safari companies offer discounts for early bookings, so plan ahead and book your safari well in advance.
- Compare prices: Take the time to research different safari packages from various tour operators to compare prices and inclusions. This will help you find the best deal for your budget.
- Consider alternative destinations: While Kenya is known for its incredible wildlife, neighboring countries like Tanzania and Uganda also offer fantastic safari experiences at a lower cost. Consider exploring these options as well.